Author Topic: SA Import Beta 2000 Coupe  (Read 169774 times)

0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Nigel

  • Legendary Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 1427
  • Country: gb
Re: SA Import Beta 2000 Coupe
« Reply #520 on: September 07, 2026, 09:38:53 PM »
Mark,
On the fuel filling, I had a chat with Andrew (Sandro), he mentioned the same.

I always have to fill with the nozzle pointing up, otherwise it cuts off, despite my
breather being ok. I suspect other shape Beta's may suffer the same.

Good to see you Saturday.

Nigel
1984 2.0 Carb HPE [ex Aus] Grigio Finanza.
2007 Mazda 6 2.3 [current daily, highly recommended]
The past:
1980 2.0 HPE White in South Africa [hope it survives!]
1976 1.6 Coupe Lancia Blu [PFG 76R] [probably deceased]
oh,and an Uno Turbo 1997 also in SA [stolen,never recovered]

Offline Ferrit

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 996
  • Country: gb
  • Mark Ferris
Re: SA Import Beta 2000 Coupe
« Reply #521 on: September 07, 2026, 11:01:24 PM »
Ha, really?  I wont rush changing it then :-) and I will try up instead

Saturday was brilliant.  Great to see you and the gang.  My son Tom had a wail of a time getting rides in anything that looked fast.  His last ride.

PS - tonight I tested removing the old stone chip and tried my smooth stone chip.  I put it on thick so will be interested how it dries.  I might try one of the sections next.



Lancia Beta Coupe 2000 SA import, now project
VW Caravelle t5.1 was project
Pig 3008 EV

Offline Ferrit

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 996
  • Country: gb
  • Mark Ferris
Re: SA Import Beta 2000 Coupe
« Reply #522 on: September 13, 2026, 10:25:19 PM »
so at the connector (no load/motor disconnected)

Grey - Fast - 11.2
Blue/White - slow - 11.2
Blue  - Int - 10.2
Blue/Black - Park? - off 11.2/int 11.3~10.4

With motor connected and running free (no wipers)

Grey - Fast - 8.9
Blue/White - slow - 9.5
Blue  - Int - 8.6
Blue/Black - Park? - off 11.2/int 11.3~9.5

I guess nothing to loose but strip the motor contacts area?

Mark

These voltages are indicative of a drop somewhere in the loom, which is what I had.
See if you can trace the wiring backwards from the column through the intermittent relay
through to the wiper motor. Somewhere there will be your fault.

N.

Out in a little bit of rain and the wipers seem worse than they were a year ago.  I need to sort this out.  Obv a relay fitted, on fast or slow (which one?), and trace back and run a new mini loom for the time being between the wiper connection in the scuttle back toward the switch?

Any advice on a quick and easiest fix for this?

Lancia Beta Coupe 2000 SA import, now project
VW Caravelle t5.1 was project
Pig 3008 EV

Offline JASPER_40

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 225
  • Country: au
Re: SA Import Beta 2000 Coupe
« Reply #523 on: September 14, 2026, 08:20:03 AM »
Just out of curiosity....

What would happen if you just disconnected the intermittent connections at the wiper motor. Would the normal and fast still work and if so would they run at a better speed ?

Just trying to establish if it is the intermittent module causing the whole slow wiper issue ?

No idea if this is even a reasonable suggestion ? (I have had 2 glasses of red with lunch  :P)

Steve

« Last Edit: September 14, 2026, 08:21:51 AM by JASPER_40 »
Current project in Aus :
1982 Lancia Beta Coupe 2000 (Carb) Aus Delivered
Previously owned in UK:
1984 HPE Volumex
1982 HPE 2000 IE
1979 Coupe 1600

Offline Nigel

  • Legendary Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 1427
  • Country: gb
Re: SA Import Beta 2000 Coupe
« Reply #524 on: September 14, 2026, 08:43:46 AM »
I tried a 'quick' fix by wiring in a relay on the 1st speed.
That didn't work as the 1st speed is wired through the intermittent
relay, somehow affecting it.
I did fit a relay to the 2nd speed, which sped them up
considerably,  proving that the issue was in the wiring.

With new wiring I'm using both the original intermittent
relay and the flasher unit.

N.

1984 2.0 Carb HPE [ex Aus] Grigio Finanza.
2007 Mazda 6 2.3 [current daily, highly recommended]
The past:
1980 2.0 HPE White in South Africa [hope it survives!]
1976 1.6 Coupe Lancia Blu [PFG 76R] [probably deceased]
oh,and an Uno Turbo 1997 also in SA [stolen,never recovered]

Offline Ferrit

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 996
  • Country: gb
  • Mark Ferris
Re: SA Import Beta 2000 Coupe
« Reply #525 on: September 14, 2026, 11:13:07 AM »
I will go and re-acquaint myself with what you did Nigel
Lancia Beta Coupe 2000 SA import, now project
VW Caravelle t5.1 was project
Pig 3008 EV

Offline WestonE

  • Legendary Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 2028
  • Country: gb
Re: SA Import Beta 2000 Coupe
« Reply #526 on: September 19, 2026, 10:47:18 AM »
I think you were looking for an OE Horn assembly with the air horn compressor and trumpets? I have these surplus to my needs and can bring it along to Beta Meeta for £30 if that helps you before I list it on eBay. NB I used twin electric horns because I had no space left after adding another fusebox. 

Offline Ferrit

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 996
  • Country: gb
  • Mark Ferris
Re: SA Import Beta 2000 Coupe
« Reply #527 on: September 19, 2026, 10:40:28 PM »
Hi Eric, I have normal sort of period horns.  I am looking for the mini ones I think they are made by Urus and are sold as motorcycle air horns

Lancia Beta Coupe 2000 SA import, now project
VW Caravelle t5.1 was project
Pig 3008 EV

Offline WestonE

  • Legendary Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 2028
  • Country: gb
Re: SA Import Beta 2000 Coupe
« Reply #528 on: September 20, 2026, 06:31:04 PM »
I did not know they made a mini version of the Horns. I have what you have now sadly.

Offline Ferrit

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 996
  • Country: gb
  • Mark Ferris
Re: SA Import Beta 2000 Coupe
« Reply #529 on: September 22, 2026, 11:37:58 PM »
Oh brilliant!

https://youtu.be/uDRrtT5uSls?is=R5-A_sjxtpfbgT_h

Leaking outlet again.  On further research it seems JB Weld doesnt like ethanol and will break down with time.  I will find something else to repair it for the weekend and decide what I do with it after the Betameeta

1. I could get it repaired by Classic Carbs, bet that will cost £150'ish
2. buy a new single carb - there is a new in box one for sale still - £600 offers
3. buy a pair of used dcoe's and a Guy Croft manifold advertised on FB

It was only ever a temp repair I guess.  Now time to do it properly

Fitted a different speedo to the binicle so will fit that and see if that solves the wobbly speedo, if not it will be a new cable replacement for the new cable I fitted a year ago
Lancia Beta Coupe 2000 SA import, now project
VW Caravelle t5.1 was project
Pig 3008 EV

Offline HFStuart

  • Legendary Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 2107
  • Country: gb
Re: SA Import Beta 2000 Coupe
« Reply #530 on: September 23, 2026, 12:28:42 PM »
Is there enough meat on the carb to thread it and screw a horsetail in ?  You can get ones 6mm bore with a 1/8 BSPT thread ( about 9.5mm thread diam) or you can get someone with a lathe to put a suitably sized hole down an M8 or M6 bolt which you could also screw in and seal.

Offline Ferrit

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 996
  • Country: gb
  • Mark Ferris
Re: SA Import Beta 2000 Coupe
« Reply #531 on: September 23, 2026, 06:44:45 PM »
Plenty of people online doing it to the main inlet but to do both I am not so sure.  I will call Classic Carbs in the morning.  I am going to try JB Weld Tank Repair tonight.  JB Weld lasted a few months before, so a few weeks would be handy.
Lancia Beta Coupe 2000 SA import, now project
VW Caravelle t5.1 was project
Pig 3008 EV

Offline Ferrit

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 996
  • Country: gb
  • Mark Ferris
Re: SA Import Beta 2000 Coupe
« Reply #532 on: September 25, 2026, 01:12:57 AM »
Temp carb fix in place and hopefully it lasts the weekend.  I will either fix this properly as Stuart describes or replace the carb/top.

Speedo fix seems to have done the trick.
Lancia Beta Coupe 2000 SA import, now project
VW Caravelle t5.1 was project
Pig 3008 EV

Offline Ferrit

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 996
  • Country: gb
  • Mark Ferris
Re: SA Import Beta 2000 Coupe
« Reply #533 on: October 04, 2026, 11:49:44 PM »
What a weekend of Beta and non-Beta chores

Last week pulled the top of the carb off and removed the JB Tank Weld (Peter, it seemed absolutely fuel tight) from around the fuel inlet/return pipes.  Pulled the inlet and returns out, that took a while.  Went to Wecon on Friday, who are just up the road, and have a bunch of fuel unions to try out.  Apparently they use a little 0.7 jet off of something or other and pop it in the return union, restriction sorted. I ordered a M8 and M10 x1.0 taps and drills, and ordered a Bosch Pillar Drill.  About time I bought one.  This should be here Tuesday.  Apparently Loctite 542 is the one to use on the threads.  Here goes nothing...

So my rear tail pipe hanger is a bit of a mess. I have no rear silencer just a tailpipe.  The system is in SS I think but its not very nice.  It has a ugly front silencer running underside centre of the car, and an equally ugly transverse silencer in the normal place, to a tailpipe.  At speed it sounds okay.  At some point I will replace it but no rush.  What is a rush is the rear pipe hanger. 

I have the original fixing point on the body and an original old rubber hanger bent through 90d, but it was failing.  I used a metal tie to help it not fail at the track day and Betameeta.

I am thinking I will make a new short right angle piece, I will rubber mount that to the original mounting, and use the new original rubber hanger down to the SS 2" pipe clamp with a right angle support that I have ordered.  I think I can make this work.

I also replaced the large tank vent pipe that was crushed - its between the filler and the top of the tank.  Worth a try to see if it helps filling up, it will not make it worse thats for sure.

I started working on options for mounting 3x 52 mm gauges in the dash.  I gave up on the mount from eBay that has the gauges set and angles to face the driver.  I couldnt make that look nice.  I will try a flat plate mounted in the stereo slot.  I have a 50mm step-drill ready for another job for my pillar drill

Tidied my little workshop, finished spraying a old Record 84 vice I got off of FB and cleaned up ready for the carb work

Lancia Beta Coupe 2000 SA import, now project
VW Caravelle t5.1 was project
Pig 3008 EV