Beta 2000 Coupe, 1980, Weber DATR34.
I've been fiddling with this for some time, adjusting idle, throttle etc. I've now returned it to where I started, when I was getting hesitancy at low revs but running ok once I'd got it motoring. However fuel consumption was very high and once warmed up it idled at about 2000 revs. I've had the plugs out and they are always sooted up. Gave it another good run yesterday, and again ran alright once warmed up, but same old idling problems. Waffling around 750 when cold, up to 2000 when warm. Doesn't seem to be any leaks anywhere. I've checked all the posts I can find on the forum. Checked timing, all seems ok. Fuel filter looks fine, but I can't help thinking that either there's crap getting in from somewhere, or the carb is knackered. The curious thing is after the last run, I discovered that the two plugs nearer the driver's side are pretty much the right colour, but the other two are sooted up! Any suggestions?
I'm resolved to send the carb away for complete refurbishment if I can't locate the problem, and maybe even take the tank out, clean it and replace all fuel lines. On the refurb front, does anyone have any experience of Weber Carb Reconditioning Services in Chelmsford. The reviews on the guys website look good (of course they would wouldn't they), but the service does look good, and at £120, if it saves another weekend of sheer frustration then it's well worth it.
Expert help needed
Kind Regards, Del