So after a month and a half driving round Europe (in another Lancia) it was time to get back onto the VX coupe.
First problem it would not start.... I had fitted a newer and rebuilt carburettor before the summer break but had not run the car since then. I had no reason to suspect the carb as it is so simple (VX version) but I took it off just to double check. After carefully refitting it (no manifold leaks etc) I checked the valve clearance and all were good - no tight valves.
I changed the plugs and it eventually fired up but only seemed to run on 3 (or 2). I rechecked the plug leads..... Nothing out of order. It also popped alarmingly through the carb on initial use of accelerator.
On Nigel's advice I checked that the cam timing was still correct (yes) and the ignition timing was OK c10deg at 1000rpm.
Cylinder 2 and 3 were dead but had good spark (changed over leads and further new plugs....).
I redid a hot compression test. This time all were around 160-165psi.
I am at a loss (although I suspect there is something going on with the head gasket between 2 & 3).
Any imput before I start tearing the engine to pieces (which will have to wait as I have a few smaller projects to finish first)??