Author Topic: Rear gearbox mounting removal  (Read 144 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline JASPER_40

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 225
  • Country: au
Rear gearbox mounting removal
« on: September 28, 2026, 08:48:52 AM »
Hi Guys,

Can anyone advise me on the best way to remove the rear gearbox mount ? I was following Haynes who simply claimed that you undo the 4 bolts that secure the mount brackets to the subframe and the 2 bolts holding the mount to the gearbox and then the assembly can be withdrawn through the N/S wheel arch. I would agree with Haynes that this is the way to do this BUT........ It is really quite tricky to remove the rearmost bracket to subframe bolt, the one at the rear of the subframe inbetween the gearbox mount and the gear selector mount.

I can get a 13mm 1/4" drive socket on the bolt and can undo it 1 ractchet click at a time and so pretty confident that I can remove this bolt completely. However, I am concerned that I would not be able start the bolt in the thread when replacing it as I just cant get more than one finger on the bolt due to the very confined space.

Any suggestions ?

I have thought of trying to drop the rear of the subframe so that I can get more fingers on this bolt from both sides of the subframe. Also thought of removing the whole of the gearshift linkages to maybe give me some clearer access from the top. In both cases, installing the bolt would be by touch and would have to be a bit of a contortionist. My concern here is breaking something in the process of trying to get this bolt to start in the subframe.

Surely most of you guys will have replaced your engine mounts at some point. Maybe everyone does this opportunistically when the engine is out ?

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Steve

PS After having struggled to get a reasonable pic of the offending bolt, it makes it look very accessible.....I assure you it is so not ! :'(
« Last Edit: September 28, 2026, 09:35:23 AM by JASPER_40 »
Current project in Aus :
1982 Lancia Beta Coupe 2000 (Carb) Aus Delivered
Previously owned in UK:
1984 HPE Volumex
1982 HPE 2000 IE
1979 Coupe 1600

Offline Nigel

  • Legendary Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 1425
  • Country: gb
Re: Rear gearbox mounting removal
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2026, 10:23:08 PM »
Yes, I have your solution.
I cut a rear-facing slot in that hole on the mount so
that I could insert the bolt loosely into the subframe first, then
fit the mount, then tighten. I added a large flange washer suitably greased
to hold it up to the bolt head whist fitting.

Nigel
1984 2.0 Carb HPE [ex Aus] Grigio Finanza.
2007 Mazda 6 2.3 [current daily, highly recommended]
The past:
1980 2.0 HPE White in South Africa [hope it survives!]
1976 1.6 Coupe Lancia Blu [PFG 76R] [probably deceased]
oh,and an Uno Turbo 1997 also in SA [stolen,never recovered]

Offline JASPER_40

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 225
  • Country: au
Re: Rear gearbox mounting removal
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2026, 01:27:50 AM »
Thanks Nigel…such a good solution.

I am surprised I have not read anything about this problem and was thinking that others just omit this bolt when reinstalling the bracket maybe.

Cheers

Steve
Current project in Aus :
1982 Lancia Beta Coupe 2000 (Carb) Aus Delivered
Previously owned in UK:
1984 HPE Volumex
1982 HPE 2000 IE
1979 Coupe 1600

Offline neromoto

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 45
Re: Rear gearbox mounting removal
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2026, 05:06:56 AM »
The 1976 HPE I imported from Italy did not come with this bolt.
Naturally, I fitted it.
I accessed it from below rather than from above.
It’s easier to get your hands in if you lift the car up and work whilst standing.
I’m not sure if there are any differences between the UK and Italian versions.

Masataka
Thema 8.32 S2 1990
Gamma Berlina S1 1978
Gamma Coupe S2 1982
Beta HPE S2 1976
Flaminia Coupe 1960

Offline rossocorsa

  • Legendary Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 2652
  • Country: 00
Re: Rear gearbox mounting removal
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2026, 10:03:28 AM »
When the mount is off be sure to check the area underneath it carefully, this area gets a lot of stress and is prone to cracking

Offline JASPER_40

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 225
  • Country: au
Re: Rear gearbox mounting removal
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2026, 11:48:17 AM »
The 1976 HPE I imported from Italy did not come with this bolt.
Naturally, I fitted it.
I accessed it from below rather than from above.
It’s easier to get your hands in if you lift the car up and work whilst standing.
I’m not sure if there are any differences between the UK and Italian versions.

Masataka

Wowzers, you must be an amazing contortionist to be able to get into a position to get 2 fingers on that bolt to start it off when re-installing ....hats off.

Although .....just studying yout pic it looks like you can get the this bolt from the back of the subframe. On my S3 (1982), there is almost no clearance between the rear of the subframe and the bulkhead.

Cheers,

Steve
« Last Edit: October 01, 2026, 11:53:10 AM by JASPER_40 »
Current project in Aus :
1982 Lancia Beta Coupe 2000 (Carb) Aus Delivered
Previously owned in UK:
1984 HPE Volumex
1982 HPE 2000 IE
1979 Coupe 1600

Offline neromoto

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 45
Re: Rear gearbox mounting removal
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2026, 04:01:32 AM »
You’re quite right.
I carried out the work through clearance between the frame and the bulkhead.
However, when tightening the bolts with a wrench, I did so from the front.

Masataka
« Last Edit: October 02, 2026, 04:04:03 AM by neromoto »
Thema 8.32 S2 1990
Gamma Berlina S1 1978
Gamma Coupe S2 1982
Beta HPE S2 1976
Flaminia Coupe 1960